As we head deeper and deeper into Winter, more people are going to stay indoors to avoid the cold weather. Eventually, people will get bored and will start killing time on the Internet. To make things a bit more pleasant for those who happen to be bored, never fear!
Our weekly links will have you laughing, crying, and cursing multibiollion dollar corporations all at the same time. With that said, here’s this week’s links.
- KDE Desktop in Need of Desktop Search Overhaul (Blog of Helios): Ken Starks argues in favor of improving the search experience on the desktop so that files are found quickly and accurately.
- Valve Joins the Linux Foundation: Gaming was such a contentous issue on operating systems other than OS X and Windows until Valve came along to port their Steam Client. The company that brought one of the most successful game distribution services is now an official member of the Linux Foundation.
- Samsung PR Move on Galaxy S4 Catching Fire Backfires (MaximumPC): In an attempt to do damage control on a problematic product, the problems of said product go viral instead. Remember kids, preventing one from suing and broadcasting the fact that defects in a product exist is not good PR.
Overlooked Pop Culture
- There are people who are here to help you poop: We aren’t making this up. There is a product called Squatty Potty that helps the person squat instead of sit on their toilet. Something about making it all come out easier…….
- Foolish users brick their XBOX One consoles (Daily Dot): Thanks to a convincing looking image via 4Chan, a number of uses enabled the developer mode on their XBOX One consoles in the hopes that they’ll be able to play their XBOX 360 games. Unfortunately, the instructions rendered said consoles inoperable. Remember, kids…. never follow instructions from an image board, and for crying out loud, stay out of /b/!
- Martial arts demo curating (The Stick Chick): A martial arts expert explains why it’s best to practice certain things in a dojo before demonstrating them to the public.