This week is going to be hectic for those working retail, and with a recent decision in a lawsuit, things may be heating up in that sector. This week’s links cover the thankfulness of old machines that can be brought back to life as well as a few other links worth checking out.
- Despite Prior Art, Newegg is Found Guilty of Patent Infringement (TechDirt): Despite industry experts testifying that the patent was invalid and explaining why, the jury found Newegg guilty of using a patent regarding e-commerce. Newegg is appealing the decision. Those who do any form of e-commerce may want to keep an eye on this case.
- Distros for Older Computers (Make Tech Easier): Have some older machines collecting dust? You just might be able to bring them back to life using Wary Puppy, TinyCore, Bohdi, CrunchBang, antiX, and WattOS (just to name a few).
- Linux Mint Debian Edition: The distro that’s currently being run in the *NixedLabs at the moment and is the current stop for the DistroJourney of 2013. It’s based on Debian Testing, with updates being bundled in packs to maintain system stability. Though there are rough edges, the technology utilized is interesting, especially the live system installer, which is home grown courtesy of Clem, the lead developer of Mint.
Overlooked Pop Culture
- Dr. Who: The Day of the Doctor (2013) 50th Anniversary Special (An American View of British Science Fiction): Dr. Who is Growing in popularity, and Stephen Kelley relays his experience of watching the special in 3-D. The movie trivia was replaced with Dr. Who trivia, and peoples’ minds were blown upon discovering that The Beatles made an appearance on an episode. Over all, he found the experience to be favorable.
- Black Friday Deals for Gamers (VG Chartz): For you gamers out there, this is a list of some of the best places to go to get the best deals for Black Friday.
- Soon, Men May Be Able to Carry Babies (Modern Women Digest): Dr. Alfred Von Bauder has been working on a synthetic uterus for quite some time, and apparently has had some success in testing it. This one’s worth reading, and may very well weird more than a few people out. Arnold Schwarzenegger, eat your heart out.